Wednesday, January 28, 2009

got a diagnosis

I went to the Rheumatologist today to tell him that I thought I had Fibromyalgia. The funny thing, is that he said that's what he was going to diagnose me with anyway. The prednisone he prescribed for me last time was sort of a test. If my current pain was arthritis related - the prednisone should have helped, but it didn't. And they did blood work last time I was there. He said that my blood looked good - there were no signs of my arthritis flaring up. He said that it is not uncommon for arthritis patients to get Fibromyalgia - and his nurse conducts little training/education courses on it that he thinks would be good for me to attend. My first one is next Tuesday. I THINK there are 3 classes but I can't remember. That reminds me though, having a foggy brain/memory is a symptom of the Fibro. They call it the Fibro Fog. No wonder I have such an awful memory! Anyway, last week my dr. put me on Paxil for my depression/anxiety and Dr. Bronson says that it sometimes can help with the Fibro too. It can take 4 weeks to start working though. So, he isn't going to prescribe anything for me yet. He wants me to wait and come back in 2 months - and then if he needs to he will maybe prescribe some Lyrica or something like that. I forgot to talk to him today about having troubles sleeping. I was hoping he could prescribe something for that. When I take Tylenol PM, it takes an hour to start working and then it makes me feel dizzy. It works though, but it seems like it takes a long time to get out of my system. Anyway, today has actually been a big relief. Not that it's a good thing to find out that I have another chronic condition - but atleast I have some answers to some things that have been going on with me for years now. For example, I KNEW I shouldn't be feeling this tired all the time. And it's more than tired. it's exhaustion. While I was working at Vatterott, I would fall asleep at work. I had a specialist tell me that I was borderline Narcoleptic. But I didn't think that was right. I might not ever stop being so tired - but atleast I know why I am tired and I'm not just lazy. We think that I've had this for years - but the dr. said that he thinks my stress lately just put it over the edge and made it flare up. If anyone is interested click HERE for a good site about Fibromyalgia.

Poor Dakota is having a tough time with going pee. Last night, he peed before bed and he had 2 streams coming out - 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom. The bottom stream was peeing on his legs. Turns out, the tip of his pee pee had stuck shut. So, I had to pry it apart. I felt so bad for him. It bled a little. Then, this morning, it was stuck shut again (and everytime he has peed todayI had to open it back up). I think the medicine is just getting wiped off in his underwear. And his testicles are bruised today. I hope that is normal. He is refusing to pee in the toilet - he only wants to pee in the bathtub water - it doesn't hurt at all when he pees in there. I tried to get him to go in the potty tonight but there was a little meltdown involved. I even tried bribing him with chocolate icecream with no luck. I hope this doesn't go on for too many days...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew it!!! I could have diagnosed you myself. I have had it for 20 years. I am so glad you now know. Now all medicines don't work the same for everyone, but I would not use PAXIL. It just about caused my sister to go insane. What I have found that works good for me is Elavil or generic Amatriptiline(sp) at bedtime to help with the sleep. I also take Celexa for the depression that goes along with FM. And then you just try to treat each sympton as they come and go. Go read my blogs and if you have any questions at all message me!!!!
xoxoxoxo karen

Anonymous said...

I agree with Karen and think you should be on Celexa (generic version is citalopram). I used Paxil also and did not like how I acted on it. God, I wish I still had insurance so I could get back on all of my meds!

As for Dakota--that's what I was talking about---the tip of his pee pee closing shut is called penile adhesions. Use Vaseline to try to keep the area from sticking together. This will help a lot.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally got a diagnosis, I hope you can find something to help you out. I've read quite a bit about it & heard its pretty painful =/

I hope everything is ok with Dakota now. Poor guy was probably in some pain.