Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fibromyalgia???

So, last week my rheumatologist started me on Prednisone because of the constant pain I have been having. He didn't mention any side effects or anything, and told me that he wanted me to take it for 5 or 6 weeks. The first 2 weeks I take 2 pills, the next week 1 1/2 pill, the next week 1 pill, etc... He never told me this, but apparently if you just suddenly stop taking it your body can go into shock. So, anyway...I joined a group for women with autoimmune disorders (arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia, etc...). Prednisone was one of the biggie topics so I was reading what others had to say. Almost everyone had some sort of side effect. One of the ones that bothers me is the fact that Prednisone suppresses your immune system - so if you happen to get sick while you are on it you will have a hard time getting over it. Maybe a time other than flu season would be a better time to try this medication! and you would have thought that this was an important effect worth mentioning by my doctor. But anyway - another common side effect is facial swelling - either a rounded face or a moon shaped face. If this happens to me - I am not leaving the house and will be sporting a fashionable paper bag over my head. Another side effect is hair growth - in places of your body that you did not have it before because this med is a steroid. Weight gain was another common 0ne - like I need to gain any more. The sucky thing is that if I do start getting any of these symptoms - I can't just stop taking the Prednisone right away. I will have to wean myself off of it and I am having second thoughts about staying on it. The good thing is that I will not stay on this medication as long as others have so that might help...

Also, while I was in the group I was reading what others had to say about Fibromyalgia - and I had a "That totally sounds like me" moment. People with Rheumatod Arthritis are more likely than others to get Fibromyalgia. Though, with FM - the pain is in your muscles, ligaments, and tendons. When I was at the doctor last week - he asked me where exactly my pain was and I told him that it was in my bones. The thing is - I am not sure exactly where the pain is coming from and I know that sounds stupid. If it's not in my bones it's deep in the muscle. I can't even describe the pain though besides to say that it is mostly inside my legs and arms and that it is a constant aching sensation. I think I just said that it was in my bones because I have RA and that is where I assumed it was coming from. So anyway, another symptom of Fibromyalgia is pain on your body when pressure is applied to it. For example - it hurts some places of my body to bump up against anything. One day - around 2 or so years ago - someone came up behind me (trying to scare me) and poked my sides. You would think - no big deal. But it hurt so bad it brought tears to my eyes. Of course I hid the pain and thought, "man, I am such a wimp". And I know I have had this pain ever since that time - but I'm not sure when it began. And this pain is hard to explain. I would say that I would rather have my blood drawn or get a shot than to have someone poke me in various areas of my body. and the pain doesn't just last for a second either - it throbs for a few minutes and it really bothersome. But I have never heard anyone talk about pain from bumping up against something or whatever and didn't really think it was a symptom of something. At one point I though about mentioning it to my doctor but I didn't. I guess I am afraid that people are gonna think I'm dumb when I say certain things (I think that is part of my anxiety - and that is why I don't say a whole lot when I am around people). Anyway, another symptom of Fibromyalgia is major fatigue - you always wake up tired and unrefreshed no matter how much sleep you get. For a long time now - I have thought that I had something called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I actually had a doctor mention that to me once but they said it was so hard to diagnose. I read that Fibromyalgia is often misdiagnosed at Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. But, Fibromyalgia is hard to diagnose as well. It won't just show a positive or negative on a blood test. So I don't know if I should just wait to tell my doc that I think this could be what I have when I see him again in 5 weeks. Maybe I should just continue on with the Prednisone and if it doesn't stop my pain - then it might help the doc to decide if Fibromyalgia could be what I have or not....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tishia, Although I've been suffering for around 14 years, I was finally just diagnosed by a rheumatologist with fibromyalgia / chronic fatigue syndrome. I can sympathize: I was also recently put on medication that has a horrible set of side effects and has only made me feel worse.

I'm in the UK and, it seems that doctors here use the two terms interchangeably. Personally, I think there is a difference in the pain usually associated with fibromyalgia and that is the term I tend to use. The doctors here seem to prefer to use chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), because that is the one that is recognized officially as a disabling illness.

I get all sorts of symptoms that I don't know whether are symptoms or not (often they are). Pain from someone poking or merely touching you, in my experience, could well be a symptom. Anyway, I've been collecting info and that may be helpful to you too, there are these fibromyalgia links and, in particular this list of Fibromyalgia commonly identified Symptoms (63) might help you to identify your own symptoms that you can later discuss with your doctor.

They won't take away the pain, but I hope they help you get answers.

Anonymous said...

I have fibromyalgia also. It seems that any time someone even touches me it hurts so I know how ya feel. I'm not on anything for it and never have been. Don't know why. But anyways I just wanted u to know that I feel your pain.....literally!

mamakaren81 said...

Hi Tishia!! I feel your pain! I was diagnosed in 98 with FM. I have been symptomatic since I was 27 and I'm now 49. This winter has been the most painful I have ever had, but I had open heart surgery 13mo. ago and I think it through my FM in a downward spiral. I have never felt this kids of soft tissue pain ever. Get a good Reumetologist who is very familiar with it and they should help you out. I would thought start Elevil for your sleeping. It has worked wonders for me and my sleep. Good Luck girl and look my up on myspace and read a few of my blogs! xoxoxox Karen klcrawford60