Sunday, May 3, 2009

Bug season

This is the part I hate most of all about warmer weather...bugs. Is there anywhere is the world that is warm AND fairly bug free??? Anyway, a couple days ago Dakota came to me and told me that he saw a beetle on mommy and daddy's bed. Of course I freaked out and made John go check. He lifted the blankets up and looked for about 5 seconds and was done. I couldn't believe his lack of motivation to this issue. There was no way I was going to be able to go to bed knowing that a bug was roaming around. I had to take matters into my own hands. I completely stripped the bed. nothing. I cleaned everywhere and practically combed every inch of that room. An hour later - nothing. Though, I was freaking out every time I picked something up because I was afraid what I might find underneath. Finally, I asked Dakota how big the bug was. He held his hand out about 2 feet apart from each other. So, I said "No, Dakota - it was not that big - how big was it really?" He held his hands about a foot from each other this time. So, I held my fingers about half an inch apart and asked if that was how big it really was. He just nodded his head yes. So, I don't know how much truth there was to this bug story. If there really was a bug at all, it could have been a gnat for all I know. But, it's a good thing I have tylenol pm to knock me out at night when I go to bed...

Today was a busy day. This morning was the all-over-town garage sales. John took out the very back seat in the van to get it garage sale ready for me and my mom. He knows us too well. I actually didn't end up getting myself much today though, just some books. I found a bunch of stuff for the kids though. I now think that vans are great! This afternoon, we went to the Family Fun Fest at Dakota's school. His teacher had talked me into volunteering at one of the booths for a half hour. All I had to do was put temporary tatoos on kids. They had buckets of water and sponges. Should be easy, right? Well, these were no ordinary tatoos. These were tatoos from hell. Half of them refused to come off on these kids. I had to go through 3 of them to find one to work for one boy. And they took FOREVER to stick. There was glitter in them - I think that was part of the problem. Well, anyway...I somehow ended up at that booth for more like an hour. And I wore the totally wrong shirt. We had to stand the whole time and when I bent over to put the tatoos on the kids, you could see down the front of my shirt. Not that I have much in the chest department - but still. It was totally uncomfortable - especially with the kids' parents standing right there with them. And a lot of kids wanted the tatoos on their faces, so that was akward. Not to mention the fact that I'm not really a people-person anyway. Next year, I'll have to come up with an excuse to get out of volunteering!

Oh, and John has a new blog if anyone wants to check it out: http://mackeysmind.blogspot.com

No comments: