Thursday, July 1, 2010

The joys of potty training

As you know, Mikayla went potty on Sunday night. Then on Monday - nothing. On Tuesday, still nothing so I put a pair of panties on her in hopes she wouldn't pee in them. I had to use the dust buster to clean up a mess, and as soon as I turned it off she told me that she peed on the floor. In her defense, I probably scared the piss out of her because she is afraid of loud noises. Yesterday we tried bribery again (I know, I know, bad parents). I told her that we would buy her this little Kai-lan toy that she has been really wanting. She got all excited at that idea, and went and peed in her potty. On the way to Walmart, I told her that she had to promise me that she would start using her potty all the time and she said she would. Be careful what you wish for. I think she has used her potty 20 times today alone. Each time, she pees just a little bit and then I have to clean it out and it seems like 20 minutes later she does it again. Every time she takes a drink, she is sure she needs to pee so she runs to her potty. Half the time she yells that she can't get the pee to come out. We tell her to pull her pants up and try again later but she gets really stubborn. She'll sit there and try and try and try. I've tried explaining to her that it takes a little while for the pee to come out after drinking something but I don't think she understands. But really, it's great. She hasn't had an accident in the past 30 hours. She woke up this morning dry. She came in our room and woke me up, and then she went potty. I really didn't think we would get her potty trained this quickly once we really started working with her. Now it seems like she thinks its fun to go in the potty. Maybe after the newness wears off, she will only go a normal amount of times a day.

I had to take Dakota to St. Joe yesterday for a follow-up appt. with the oral surgeon. It went really quick, we were in and out of there in probably 20 minutes. He said that everything looks fine. He is concerned about 2 teeth being interlocked. He said that he would call and talk to Dakota's orthodontist. If his front tooth don't come in on it's own, they will probably put some braces on him, and attach a chain up in his gums to that tooth, and also attach the chain to the braces to pull the tooth down. I think I remember the orthodontist mentioning that as a possibility. I'm just hoping we don't have to resort to that. Anyway, after we left there we went to Borders - my favorite store on the planet. I spent half my birthday money on books. I know, I'm such a nerd. The other half of my money will probably go on bills. Oh well, I feel lucky that I got to spend some money on myself at all.

No comments: