Saturday, July 17, 2010

Nodaway County Fair

Thursday was the Lil Miss Nodaway County contest that we put Mikayla in. We found her a pretty dress on the clearance rack at JCPenney's for $6. As soon as she woke up that morning, she asked me if it was time for the contest yet. She was so excited about it. We had to go early to register. By the time we waited around for it to start, and then waited in line for her turn to go up - it was probably an hour and a half. By that time, she had enough. She was hot and hungry and thirsty, and she just wanted to go home. A little before it was her turn to go up, she started crying and saying she wanted a popsicle. I got her to stop crying by the time she had to walk up, but she was not a happy camper. I had to take her up there in front of everyone. She refused to look or talk to the guy asking questions. It was soooo not an enjoyable experience. Then after her turn, we had to wait behind the stage for a half hour before everyone was done and they announced the winner. John said that out of all the girls, there were only 3 who were talkative and outgoing - and they were the 3 that won. I don't think that Mikayla will ever be that outgoing, and I'm never entering her in that contest again. Well, unless she begs but I doubt she will want to do it again. By the time it was over, my social anxiety was at it's max and I was dying to get out of there. Even after we got home, it took me a long time to relax. And I had a bad headache. Every time I get done with a stressful situation, I immediately get a headache. I don't usually get it while I'm stressed, it's usually after the stress goes away. It's weird. Anyway, John's mom told me that while they were watching, Dakota said that Mikayla was the prettiest girl up there. Awwww..... he can be such a sweet brother to her.

Unfortunately, last night we had to take the kids back up to the fair so they could ride rides. Luckily, John's parents bought all the grandkids tickets. We couldn't really afford it - they are so expensive. Dakota usually only rides the little kid rides - like the boats and motor cycles. Well, he saw his 4 year old cousin ride the swings - which is a ride that actually goes fast and takes you up in the air a little - and he decided to be brave and try it. I was so surprised - I mean, this is the kid who is scared of a fly. The look on his face at first was hysterical, I couldn't stop laughing. He looked freaked out at first, but then he started liking it. Afterward, he wanted to ride it over and over again. We couldn't get him to ride any other ride. So, John stayed with Dakota so he could use the rest of his tickets on the swings. I took Mikayla and my niece Cami over to the little kid rides. It was so hot/miserable/crowded. Ugh, I hate the fair. But the kids had a blast and I guess that's what matters. Now, they are begging me to go up to the fair again tonight. I don't know how they know it's open tonight too. I sure didn't tell them. We are out of money anyway. I guess I will be mean mom for the rest of the evening.


No comments: