Friday, February 20, 2009

glad this day is o-v-e-r!

Well, the day didn't start off well. We were late to Dakota's appointment in Kansas City. I just could NOT get myself out of bed this morning. I had to take some tylenol pm last night and it leaves me feeling groggy in the mornings. I had a hard time getting to sleep because I was having a problem with restless legs. Sometime in the night, I got up to pee and Dakota was out in the front room with his cowboy hat and gun. I made him go back to bed but it is hard telling what time he went to sleep. So, he was not in a great mood today. So, anyway. We get to Children's Mercy late - we went to the downtown location this time (I guess the dr. goes back and forth between the 2 hospitals). We went through the security area and asked where the urology clinic is. The guy gives me a map and tells me to put on my walking shoes because it's practically the furthest place in the hospital. So we finally find it and luckily, they didn't say that they couldn't see us (the appt. was for 10am but we were supposed to be there at 9:45 and we got there at 10:15). Once we got back to the room it seemed like a long time before the dr. came in. Actually, it was the doctors nurse practitioner that we saw most. She said everything looks fine and then we talked about Dakota's constipation. She gave me some tips on that and also said to only let Dakota have 2 servings of calcium a day - and to limit chocolate/cocoa. (wish me luck considering he ONLY wants to drink chocolate milk). Then, she gave me a paper with drawings of poop on it. She circled the poop that Dakota's poop should look like. oh boy.

We leave there and go eat lunch. My body was exhausted from head to toe. I felt like my arm was shaking when I was eating - I just felt so tired and weak. Then we head back towards home. Dakota starts complaining that he want's to go to a cowboy store in kansas city. I told him that I have to go home and take a nap. So, he whines some more and I make the mistake of telling him that there is a cowboy store in Maryville (Orscheln's). I said that AFTER my nap we would go there but that he wasn't getting anything. So, I get home and lay down for a couple of hours and all I hear is whining, crying, and yelling - by both kids. John was able to get Mikayla to take a little nap but that's it. I get a little sleep and we go to Orscheln's. Dakota was a little mad about not getting anything but he dealt with it. Then we had to go grocery shopping at Walmart. Dakota sees a batman toy that he really wants and we tell him NO. He ended up having a total meltdown. It was embarrasing. John dragged him out of the store and they went to the car. I could hear Dakota LOUDLY crying all the way through the store. So I push Mikayla around in the store doing the grocery shopping in a dysfunctional cart. It kept veering to the right and I could hardly make a left turn. The more stuff I got in the cart, the harder it was to push around. I ended up breaking a sweat but made it to the checkout. I took the box of 'Nilla wafers out of the cart and put them on the counter - and Mikayla has a meltdown. right there at the checkout. she wanted 'nilla wafers. so that was embarrasing.

So, we finally get back home and the kids are just a pain in the butt. It is like something from the Twilight Zone. They just woke up evil today. We ran out of medicine for Dakota's anxiety and we are hoping that this is just some weird symptom from that. Each day since we ran out of the medicine, Dakota has slowly gotten more unruly (we got it filled today though). Usually, he is just so well behaved. But this week he just has not been listening and today was the worst. Usually, when I yell at him - he cries. not this week. A couple days ago, I told him to do something and he said no. I did the "if you don't do it by the count of 3 thing" - and usually by the time I get to 1, he is running and doing whatever it is he is supposed to be doing. not this time. I actually got to 3 and he just sat there staring at me. I was dumfounded. I didn't have anything in mind to say when I got to 3 so I was like, "Uhhhh....you'll get a spanking". I know I didn't sound too convincing. I need to be better prepared, ha ha! And Mikayla is just in that stage where she wants to do or say anything that Dakota does. Wish me luck that things get back to normal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a typical day for me. We can't take Alex in stores for the most part, he totally freaks out when he doesn't get something. I hate when kids have a meltdown & people stare like they've never seen or heard a kid scream & cry. I think it makes me mad more then it embarrasses me. People are too quick to judge on the poor parenting skills when they never know what is actually going on with a child mentally or physically. OK lol I could go on & on about that topic but glad to hear everything's going ok otherwise. Alex has troubles with constipation too, & he's a chocolate milk junkie too.

Stef said...

The constipation think sucks Mazie has it all the time and nothing makes a difference. I quit taking my kids with me to walmart after the day Thomas told me he wishes I was dead lol. Kids are so special aren't they? Hopefully today will be a better day for you all!