Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dakota's surgery

I had to have Dakota at the hospital in St. Joe by 7:45 this morning. Luckily, John's mom had the day off so she came and stayed with Mikayla. We actually got to the hospital on time - seems like I run late to everything. John was able to clock out of work early and come sit with me at the surgery center. The morning went pretty quick. I think the longest part was just waiting to get Dakota admitted. The oral surgeon had 2 cancellations this morning before Dakota, so once we got him admitted they took us back to the pre-op room and they were ready for him right away. Dakota was very brave and didn't cry at all. John and I went back out to the waiting room and about a half hour later someone came out and told us they were done and that Dakota was doing fine. Then the oral surgeon came and talked to us. He said that Dakota's front adult tooth is very high up in the bone - higher than what the x-ray showed. It is also overlapping Dakota's adult tooth that is already in. There's not enough room in his mouth and he will probably have to have another procedure done in the future to make some room. They sewed the gumline up higher and kept it open to expose that tooth that's way up there. The baby tooth beside that one was taken out too so Dakota has a big hole there and it actually looks kind of nasty. If you look up in that hole, you can see a little bit of bone or tooth. The tooth on the other side of the adult tooth is gone too so Dakota sounds so cute when he talks. But anyway, back to the hospital. After we talked to the doctor, we had to wait in the waiting room for awhile longer. They had given Dakota morphine and it was taking them a little while to wake him up. He is hard enough to wake up anyway, let alone having anesthesia and morphine. They took us back there soon after they got him awake. The poor guy was kind of out of it, and was chewing on a wet washcloth. He was startled when he noticed it was all bloody. Then, when he noticed the IV in his hand, he had a bit of a meltdown. The nurse was really nice, and patient with him. She took out the IV and then had us sign some papers and we were out of there by 10:00 this morning. On the way home Dakota just kept saying that he wished that his teeth weren't pulled and he kept complaining that he was sounding funny when he talked. I thought it was really cute. For a little bit after we got home, he was a little dizzy but that didn't last long. He's been going strong ever since. He hasn't been laying around sleeping all day like I figured he would - he's been playing like normal. He has complained of some pain but I've just been giving him tylenol and ibuprofen and he's been fine. He even ate a couple of hot dogs and pudding and jello. It doesn't seem to have affected his appetite or energy level. I asked him what he remembered when he went back to the operating room and he said that they put a big mask over his face and that was kind of scary. He also said that they tried putting stickers on his chest but he started freaking out so they stopped. Anyway, now he's just excited about the tooth fairy coming tonight and paying him for 3 teeth!

My birthday came and went yesterday. I've reached the old age of 29. I'm bummed about this being my last year in my 20's. I don't know if I've talked about this on my blog before, but I'll tell ya why turning 30 bothers me. A long time ago, I read somewhere that around the time you hit 30, your body slowly starts the dying process. That's why your hair usually starts losing pigment in your 30's, you start getting fine lines, etc... I can't remember what else was said but this has bothered me for years. I know, I know - I worry about the silliest things. I can't help it. I think that maybe once I turn 30, it won't be so bad. Sometimes the anticipation to something is worse than the actual event.

No comments: