Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Omaha again

Monday was Dakota's follow up appointment in Omaha. We actually didn't get lost, or weren't late for once! Luckily, the interstate was open this time. When we first got on the interstate, I was sort of worried – there was no northbound traffic. We were the only one's on the road for a long while, it was really strange. But anyway, we made it and it was a pretty pointless appointment. Not only that, but it's expensive to pay for the gas to get up there, pay a co-pay, and get something for lunch. Basically the doctor decided to take Dakota completely off of the Abilify. We've talked on the phone several times – this is something that could have been handled over the phone. Oh well. Dakota was happy about being able to miss school. Mikayla was mad about having to miss school. We were done with the appt by 10:30. By that time, we were already hungry for lunch since we had to get up so early. We went to the McDonald's down the road from the hospital. We feel bad for never taking the kids to eat at the McDonald's in Maryville, so whenever we go out of town we will take them there since it's their favorite place. The happy meal toys right now are from the movie Puss in Boots. I think they should have picked a different name for that movie. Dakota wanted to know why that character was called Puss, so John explained to him about cats being called pussycats. So Dakota kept asking loudly, “What is a pussy? What is a pussy?”. John was the responsible parent and tried to calmly explain this to him where he could understand. I was too busy laughing, covering my face, and wishing I could crawl under the table. I don't think Dakota ever really understood...

We finally got a called from a pediatric neurologist in Kansas City. Awhile back during the meeting with Dakota's school and doctor, everyone decided that I should get a second opinion. So anyway, they left me a message saying that Dakota's appointment is on the 28th of this month. John doesn't have any more days off the rest of this year though, and I don't really want to go alone. I will probably just reschedule the appointment for January. I'm sure it will be pretty pointless anyway...

We have gotten into a bit of a financial bind. I love how these things always happen around Christmas time. We are completely broke right now. I've gone several days now without my arthritis or fibromyalgia meds. I am in a lot of pain now. My joints almost feel like they are starting to fuse together or something. They are super stiff and sore. Between my 2 conditions, I hurt everywhere constantly. I can't even open a bottle of pop, or grip anything. When I picked Dakota up from school today, my legs almost gave out on me when I was walking up the steps. That seemed more like a muscle issue – my legs just felt really weak. I only have to go one more day though until John gets paid. I feel so old though. It's scary how useless my body is when I don't have meds to help. I'm really worried what I will be like when I'm older. One of these days I will probably need a cane or wheelchair. It's something I try not to think about because it depresses me.

No comments: