Friday, November 25, 2011

November happenings

Things have been busy lately. One Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, 2 more this weekend. Last weekend we had a garage sale. The turn out was great, and we made $80, but sometimes I wonder if it's worth it if you think about all the hours and labor you put into it. Of course, on top of that I have to deal with my anxiety around people and the pain that comes with setting up (lifting and carrying things). I also have a lot of anxiety during Thanksgiving dinners. I hate that. I shouldn't have social anxiety around family members but I guess that will never change.

On Wednesday, I had an appt. with my Rheumatologist. John had to work, and both kids were off school so I took them to St. Joe with me. They were great during the appointment, I'm a pretty lucky mom. Dakota seemed pretty amazed when they were doing blood work on me. Mikayla seemed kind of scared. They took 3 vials of blood from my hand. The veins in my arms are pretty stubborn. Since I have been having more pain lately, they upped my dosage of Lyrica – the med for my Fibromyalgia. I kind of wished they would have tried me on a different arthritis medication. I've been on it for years, and I think my body is getting too used to it. Anyway, the nurse called me today with the results from the blood test. She said I'm a bit anemic and she just told me to take a multi vitamin everyday and that should help. She said that hopefully it will help my fatigue as well.

A little more than a week ago, I got an email from Dakota's teacher. She said that since Dakota was taken off the Abilify, that he can't sit still in class and was having trouble staying focused. I knew that would happen. One of his special ed teachers said the same thing, but also said that Dakota was disrupting the class. That's definitely not something that I've heard a teacher say about Dakota before. I called the specialist and suggested putting Dakota back on the Abilify. She put him back on a small dose – slightly smaller than what he was taking last. I just hope it's enough.

Dakota's cousin Cami started going to Dakota's school a couple of weeks ago. They are in the same grade but have different teachers – though they do share a special class together (a reading class I think). Anyway, the good news is that he now has somebody to play with at recess. But...I found out just how mean the kids are to Dakota. I knew they made fun of him when he has accidents at school. But Cami told me that they make fun of the way Dakota talks. She also told me that one day, Dakota got pushed up against a fence. One time when Dakota was crying because of being made fun of, the teacher came over and kind of yelled at him and said, “What are you crying about now?” Dakota is sensitive – of course he is going to cry about being made fun of. Dakota hardly tells me about anything, so I'm glad Cami is there to let me know what goes on. She is also there to help defend Dakota and I'm glad he doesn't feel as alone. He did tell me the other day though that a kid kicked him really hard in the knee. He even has a bruise. I don't know what to do. Dakota is different than other kids, and that's not going to change. No wonder he hates school so much. And I know things won't get better if we stay in Maryville. I remember how awful the kids were in the Maryville School district. Half of them are preps who think they are better than others. We are considering moving to a small town like Pickering where the kids are more equal and where Dakota can get more one on one in the classroom. Of course, I don't know of any places for rent there. I also don't know if I should consider home schooling. Dakota just doesn't seem to be able to control his bowels very well, which makes things awful for him. Why does life have to be so stressful?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for Dakota. My oldest grandson is sensitive like he is and the kids are so mean sometimes. The teachers there are on the ball though so it usually gets stopped. He is friends with everyone and doesn't understand why others can be mean for no reason. Both of my grandsons go to a private Christian school so the class sizes are smaller. Have you thought about a private school? I know we have one in our area that I'm thinking about looking into for next year that is public but has smaller sizes like a private school. We also have what's called Life Schools here. I think all these schools are magnet schools but I'm not sure. I still have to look into what exactly that means.

What do the doctors say about Dakota having bowel movements and not being able to control them?

Laura Mentz said...

I'm really scared for Dakota to be honest. Bullying doesn't ever get better during school...it will only get worse with time. I do think you would be better off in a smaller school and hopefully get him some one on one help, but at the same token I know how small schools can be too. Everyone knows everyone and once you have a reputation it can be hard to get rid of. I'm sure private school isn't an option because of money. I'd hate to see you homeschool him because I really do think he needs to be around kids and at least attempt to make friends. I can't imagine having bowel issues in school. I have bowel issues, but I'm an adult and can run to a bathroom, whereas with Dakota being in school it's probably hard for him to get to the bathroom if/when he is even aware that he needs to go. Poor boy. I'm glad Dakota's cousin is with him at school. She sounds like a very nice girl.

I thought about you while I was Black Friday shopping......I figured I wouldn't see you out and about since you have social anxiety. Days like that would be very hard for you.