I really need to get back to blogging more often. It's already been a month, and I'm sure I can't remember half of what has happened. About 2 ½ weeks ago, I had a meeting at Dakota's school with the school nurse, the occupational therapist, Dr. Watson, and some nurse I've never met. Everyone pretty much agreed that there is something off about Dakota, we just can't put a finger on it. The occupational therapist believes that there's something wrong with his middle body strength – like he has weak stomach and back muscles so he carries himself differently. Dakota was in the room so everyone could observe certain things. He was showing off like crazy and just acting hyper and silly. He started doing pushups and showing everyone his muscles. Apparently, he shows his muscles to his teachers quite often. Dr. Watson said she would make Dakota an appt. with another neurologist for a 2nd opinion. The school said they would write down a list of concerns for me to take with us so I don't just sound like a paranoid mom. Of course, I haven't heard anything since the meeting. I guess I need to call Dr. Watson and remind her to set up that appt. I just despise making phone calls. The occupational therapist pretty much said that Dakota is her favorite student that she is working with right now. She said they are buddies.
The other day I went to Dakota's parent/teacher conference. One of Dakota's special ed teachers was there as well as his regular teacher. They are pretty pleased with how he is doing. His report card from his special classes was pretty good. His teacher gave me his “regular” report card too, and you could tell that she didn't even want me to look at it. She said that she is required to grade him on regular 2nd grade expectations. It wasn't good at all – he had all 1's and 2's. A 4 means that the expectations are met – a 1 means they are not met. She told me not to even pay any attention to it. I was also given the report from the TerraNova testing that Dakota did at the end of last yer. This is some national testing that all kids do – and Dakota tested below average in everything. It just breaks my heart that he struggles so much with things.
Dakota is doing better with his anxiety. He isn't crying as much at school, and he doesn't cry anymore when he goes to school in the mornings. He also doesn't come home with a headache every day like he used to. He still has anxiety though with going up and talking to other kids. He is so much like his momma. He cried the other night about not having anyone to play with at recess. I understand him more than he could ever know. The behavioral specialist called me today and wants to raise Dakota's medicine a little to see if that helps his social anxiety a little more. A few weeks ago, Dakota had an odd day – for lack of a better term. He came home from school in a really bad mood and told me that he got in trouble for kicking somebody – which is something that he never does. He never gets in trouble at school. That evening he got angry and started hitting the wall and saying that he was going to kill himself. The next day he was back to his normal self and hasn't acted like that sense.
John went to Mikayla's parent/teacher conference because I had to take Mikayla to her ballet class at that same time. Mikayla is advanced – which we already knew. You know, it's really weird to have 2 kids that are the polar opposite. Anyway, the only thing Mikayla seems to have trouble with is using scissors. Her teacher thinks it's because she is double jointed. I'm going to have to watch Mikayla and see how she holds her fingers. I know that Mikayla's thumbs bend back at a 90 degree angle like mine. I could see how that could make it hard to use scissors.
Mikayla is really enjoying her ballet class. She only goes a half hour every Thursday, and it's hard for her to wait a whole week before she gets to go again. She brought a paper home from school one day about a dance class Maryville Parks and Recreation was offering. It was $30 I think, for 9 weeks of jazz dance classes. It lasts 1 hour every Monday evening, and she will get a tshirt at the end. In December she will have a little recital. She is loving it. I'm not enjoying it so much. Parents aren't allowed to sit in the room and watch because it distracts the kids – which is understandable. It gets really really boring having to sit in the other room on a hard bench for an hour though. I will be glad when this dance class is done. Mikayla's recital for her ballet class will be in April I think. Yesterday, she was measured for her fancy outfit that we have to buy. Now, she is saying she wants to take tap dance too. I think we will stick with the dance classes she's in for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment