Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Branson, and x-rays, and poop - oh my!

Seems like a lot has happened since I last blogged. I actually went to a salon and got my hair done. I got a cut, highlights, lowlights, and a pink hair extension. All that cost $90. Eeek. I guess that was an early birthday present for myself. On June 3rd, we had a garage sale. I think it was the hottest day ever. I worked for hours on getting stuff ready, and setting up, and I think we made like, $20. I don't really remember how much exactly, but it wasn't anywhere near worth it. There were several of my family members involved, I think everyone else made around $100. To make matters worse, I hurt my foot while I was trying to get stuff set up. I was wearing these sandals that had a big sole – and no back on them. Somehow, the back of my foot slipped off, my foot twisted and I stepped down on my foot while it was twisted. Or something like that. It happened so fast, I don't really remember exactly what happened. All I know was that it hurt. A lot. I don't think I will wear those sandals ever again.


Two days later, we left for vacation! We went to Branson and had a blast. I was determined not to let anything ruin our trip – including my foot. I ended up having to buy a brace to put on my foot when we went places. I even walked around Silver Dollar City. It was pretty miserable really, but the kids had a blast. They both found some rides that they loved, and they are both getting braver! Silver Dollar City was sooo expensive. Everything in Branson is expensive though. We lied everywhere and said that Mikayla was 3 so she could get in for free. I know, I know – awful. She wasn't happy about that. She is 4 years old and dang proud of it! Anyway, we also did the Ride the Ducks thing, went to the Hollywood Wax Museum, and went to a show called Legends in Concert. They had someone pretending to be Michael Jackson and the kids absolutely loved it! They are both just HUGE Michael Jackson fans now. A few days later, we headed home. We didn't want to, but I had a dr. appt. and we had spent too much money anyway. On this trip though, I think I was the happiest I have been in a really really long time.


My doctor appt. on Thursday didn't go as well as I'd hoped. I hate going, so I was hoping the doctor would think I was doing fine and tell me not to come back for several months. Hey, a girl can hope. The first thing he said to me was “Happy Birthday”. I made the mistake of groaning and not acting happy about it. I forgot I was supposed to try to be perkier. So, the doctor gave me a loooong speech about how age is just a number and if you have aspirations, you will never be old... After awhile he asked me if I was listening to what he was saying. I think my eyes were glazing over. After some more long speeches about my soul being depressed or something like that, he decided to start me on some bi-polar medicine. That got my attention. I said, “Bi-Polar? Really? You think I'm Bi-Polar???” He was just like, “Well, it's not mania”. Like that was supposed to make me feel better. Either the doctor is crazy, or I don't know what Bi-Polar is... because my mood is pretty much always the same. I'm never excited or perky or anything like that. I don't have anger outbursts or anything. I just feel “blah” all the time.


Anyway, by Friday my foot was still hurting. I called to make a dr. appt. and they got me in right away. They took an xray, but the xray showed more of my ankle than the part of my foot that hurt (of course). The dr. decided that I have a mid-foot sprain (where your ligaments are pulled or torn). The milder sprains are supposed to last 1-2 weeks. It's been 1 week and 4 days and it still hurts to walk. I have an appt. on Monday for some physical therapy. Anyway, he just prescribed me some Prednisone, which is awful. I was to take 6 the first day, 5 the next, 4 the next, etc... The other day, I was trying to take several at the same time and they kinda got caught in the back of my throat and stayed on my tongue too long. Oh my gawd. I can't even describe the taste of this stuff. John was talking to me at the time, and I started shuddering and stuff, like I had Tourette's or something. John started laughing at me, so I told him to take one of those pills and rub it on the back of his tongue. He actually did it. His reaction was pretty much like mine, I laughed so hard I cried. Oddly enough, John's foot started hurting over the weekend. He went to the doctor yesterday about it (the same dr). They took an xray and said that some bone in John's foot is inflamed. The doctor gave him a shot – injected Cortisone directly into his foot. Ouch. He also gave John a prescription for Prednisone – which he refuses to fill, lol...


On Saturday, we went to a wedding in Kansas City. John's cousin, Wes Summa, was getting married. He was raised in Tarkio, then later moved to the Kansas City area. Anyway, it was really strange, at the reception I ran into my cousin Jessica and her husband Dan! Turns out, Dan and Wes are really good friends and used to be roomates. How weird is that???


Yesterday, I also called Dr. Watson's office to get Dakota an appt. They said they could get him in right then (the doctors in this town must be having a boring summer or something). Anyway, I wanted to talk to Dr. Watson about Dakota's lack of ability to hold his bowels. It seems to be getting worse. He is pooping his pants 3-4 times a day. I mean, he is almost 8 years old and will be starting 2nd grade this year. I don't want to have to home school him or something. Anyway, they took an xray of his abdomen – isn't it funny that 3 of us had xrays in a 3 day time period? Dakota's body is just full of poop – which is weird to me since he poops all the time. I guess he isn't going nearly enough and his bowel is stretched out or something and he can't feel when he needs to go. Dr. Watson is having me give him a lot of Miralax in his drinks. So far, no luck. If he doesn't get much out in a few days, then we are supposed to give him Exlax. She wants to see him again on Monday to do another xray of his abdomen. We need to get him fully cleaned out – having all that poop in there can be toxic. She briefly mentioned that some kids have to have a hospital stay for this reason. Well, I'm sure that this is more poop than you ever wanted to hear about, so I will quit babbling now! More updates to come, I'm sure.

No comments: