Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to school

The first day of school went well for Dakota. After meeting his teacher on Monday and seeing his classroom, he got excited about going. When I dropped him off Thursday morning, he walked in all by himself. There were cars lined up down the road with parents walking their kids in, and my son - the kid with anxiety - bravely walked in all by himself. I was so proud! He forgot how to get to his classroom but somebody helped him. After school he said that his teacher was really nice to him - he seems to really like her. I asked him if he played with anyone or talked to anyone and his reply was, "Well, Mrs. Dew talked to me". I asked him if he played with anyone at recess yesterday, and he said that he ran around looking for someone to play with but no one wanted to play with him. I think he is waiting for someone to ask him. He doesn't just join in. I feel bad for him. But I'm glad that school is off to a good start so far.

Thursday night, I tried that new medicine. After I took it, I decided to read up some more on it. I was reading some info on dosage, and it said for non-psychotic anxiety the starting dose is 1 -2 mg. For psychotic disorders, the starting dosage is 2-5 mg. The doc had me starting on 5 mg. I ended up feel awful all day yesterday. I was sick and my body just felt restless. I couldn't just sit still for a long period of time, but I couldn't really do anything either. It's hard to explain. I guess if you've ever had restless legs - like from being in a hospital bed for awhile - it was like that but my whole body felt that way. And I was sick all day. It was the longest day ever, I just couldn't wait for it to be over. Luckily, I slept about 11 hours last night and by this morning I was feeling fine. This one other website I was on was saying that around 4% of people that take this medicine develop something called Tardive Dyskinesia - which is where you have repetitive, involuntary body movements. And it can become permanent - even after you quit taking the medicine. Other people say that the med has contributed to them having Parkinson's. I just kept reading and kept reading until I was freaking myself out. It would have been nice if the dr. would have mentioned some of these risks. I guess I just have this habit of thinking that if a dr. prescribes me something, I don't ask questions and figure it must not be anything too bad. Needless to say, I won't be taking this medicine anymore. And I don't really trust this dr.'s judgment anymore either.

Well, John got the job at the bank! We are really excited about it. It will be weird to have him home at night. I know it will be nice for him to not have to drive to St. Joe everyday. He's taking a bit of a pay cut, and we might look for a cheaper place to rent, but I think things will be good!

It was a hot miserable day today. I guess that's typical for August. Anyway, we went to the Dulin Family Reunion which was outside at the lake. We told the kids we were going to Mozingo and Dakota thought we were going to Tokyo. I think he was a bit disappointed. Tonight, we took the kids to the rodeo. Mikayla wore her cowgirl boots, which are a couple of sizes too big. Dakota got all decked out on his cowboy shirt, cowboy pants, boots, hat, chaps (homemade), and a bandana around his neck. There was no talking him out of it. Even though it was like, a million degrees outside. They seemed to have a really good time. During the middle they had a Calf Scramble - where they put a ribbon on calves and kids run around chasing calves trying to get the ribbon. They had Mikayla's age group first, then Dakota's. Both kids wanted to participate. It was so cute. Every kid who participated was given a free flashlight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the pics tishia!!! glad that dakota had a great start to 1st grade. and the meds talk to a dr that you feel comfortable with and things will get better!!!!!
amie