Friday, March 29, 2013

Lyme Disease?

Yesterday was my follow-up appointment with the Neurologist. They called me the day before and asked me if I could come in at 1:00 instead of 3:00, so I did. The doctor didn't even see me until 2:00, ugh... He had a medical student with him. I had the kids with me since there was no school. The doctor had me take my shoes and socks off. When I was taking them off, Mikayla said “What?? Ewww...Gross!!!”. The doctor and the med students probably thought I had a foot fungus or something by her reaction. It was kind of embarrassing. Mikayla has this weird thing about feet though. She doesn't like to look at feet. Or dirty socks. Anyway, the doctor told me that when I had my blood work done, they did a Lyme disease test on me twice. The first time it was positive, the second time it came back negative so the doctor is assuming it's negative. You would think they might wanna do it a 3rd time, but what do I know. Actually, I've heard that Lyme disease is thought to cause fibromyalgia so I've researched it before. A lot of the symptoms sound just like me. When Lyme disease was first discovered in the 70's, it was because a lot of kids in a particular wooded town were being diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis during the peak of tick season. That's when they found out that these ticks caused arthritis. This would explain why I got arthritis at such a young age. When I was a kid I used to go mushroom hunting in the woods with my family, so it's possible. Late stages of Lyme disease can cause neurological problems, such as memory loss – which I'm having major problems with. Seriously, I don't even remember my children as babies. I remember very little about my childhood. I'm forgetting a lot of stuff and it's scaring me. Other symptoms of the late stage Lyme disease are numbness, tingling, and weakness – which all describe me perfectly. That's why he originally thought I had MS. He asked me if I wanted to be tested for carpal tunnel syndrome, since my hands are always numb and tingly. But I really don't feel like that's what I have. My feet are the same way, it's not just my hands. So I told him no on that testing. We already have tons of doctor and hospital bills, we don't need more and I have a feeling it would be a pointless test. He just kind of seemed like he didn't know what else to do and told me to come back in 4 months. Maybe I should find a new neurologist in St. Joe.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from my G.I. Specialist. Apparently he must have done a biopsy when I had the scope done last week. The letter says that the results came back and I have some sort of stomach infection. It said that he will discuss it with me at my next appointment.

I'm thinking that Dakota is depressed or something. Lately, he has just started crying for no reason. He lays on his bed and cries and cries. It's hard to calm him down. He says that he is sad but he doesn't know why. Last night he said that he feels like he is stuck in his head and he can't stop being sad. This has happened 4 times in the past week. I guess we will put him in counseling. The school had already mentioned it when we had his IEP meeting, so I suppose it would be a good idea.

No comments: