Saturday, April 6, 2013

Autism Awareness Month



On Tuesday night, John had a sleep study done. I suspected that he had sleep apnea, so I finally was able to convince him to see a doctor about it. During the sleep study, it was obvious to them that he has sleep apnea but John has to wait until the sleep study is read by a specialist before getting an appointment for one of those cpap machines. 




The night of the sleep study was hard on Dakota, not having his dad home. He cried when I put him to bed and couldn't fall asleep. Luckily, John had taken a crazy picture of himself with his phone (with the wires on his head), so I showed Dakota the picture on my phone and he started laughing hysterically. So, that calmed him down and I sat with him until he fell asleep. The next morning was awful though, even though John was back home by the time I got the kids up for school. Dakota had one of those weird episodes that he occasionally has before school. He was flipping out and between John and I both, we couldn't even get his clothes on him. By this time, John was late for work and Mikayla was late for school so they left and Dakota stayed home with me. Part of the meltdown was because Dakota was afraid to go to school because of AJ. I suspect that part of it was because of John not being home the night before. Sometimes a change in routine really messes with him. Even after he knew we were letting him stay home, he still laid on his bed and cried for a long time. I ended up calling and talking with his doctor's nurse and the possibility of him being depressed. Dr. Watson didn't have any openings for quite awhile (she is gone all next week), so she went ahead and made him an appointment with the nurse practitioner that works in the same area. She wanted Dakota to be seen as soon as possible. His appointment is on Tuesday morning.

I also called my G.I. Doctor about the stomach infection to see if I'm supposed to come in sooner than my next appointment. I've been having a lot of stomach pain the past week. But nope, he wants to wait until I come in next month to treat me for the infection. I don't know why he can't just prescribe me an antibiotic or whatever needs to be done. I guess I have to live with this pain for another month.

Yesterday while on facebook, I came across a link to an article about Lyme Disease. I don't even remember who posted it – possibly one of the fibromyalgia pages I'm subscribed to. Anyway, here is the link:

It talks about how lyme disease can be fatal if it goes untreated. It also says that with lyme testing, a false positive is almost unheard of, and false negatives are pretty common. Since I've had one positive test and one negative, I figured maybe I should look into this more. I found out that the lyme community is pretty hush hush. There is no list that you can find for doctors that specialize in lyme disease – for legal reasons (whatever that means). You can go to a lyme disease website and request that names of lyme doctors in your area be sent to you, they won't post it publicly. It's strange stuff. Then, I found a forum of thousands of members who either have or suspect they have lyme. I went ahead and registered in the forum since there is a lot of information there, and they say not to use your real name.. something about insurance companies dropping you if they find out you have lyme. I posted my experience with my lyme test and my symptoms, and I got such a quick response from people. I had 2 people message me the name of a lyme doctor in Missouri that they have been to and recommend. Unfortunately, this doctor is in Columbia. I think I will go ahead and call on Monday though and see if I can even afford to go see him. It's not something insurance will cover. John has vacation time that he can use if I'm able to get an appointment. Everyone was adamant in telling me not to see another neurologist for this. They will keep testing you until they get a negative result, because they either don't know how or don't want to treat for lyme. That's what several people told me anyway. I've been given so many links to websites and videos that it's all a little overwhelming. There is also a link between mothers with lyme disease having autistic children (which makes me feel at fault for Dakota's autism if this is the case):




Yesterday afternoon, they had an Autism awareness assembly for the 3rd graders at school. There is another boy in Dakota's grade with Autism, and his parents put this on every year. John and I went to it yesterday. The had members of a girl's basketball team read a book about autism and bullying. Then they had a balloon launch outside afterward. They had it on the news, you can see the video here:


 Before the assembly, at lunch time, one of the mean boys in Dakota's class told Dakota that his mom was fat. I overheard Dakota telling this to John after school. I'm guessing he didn't want me to know. Dakota said that he cried for a long time at school about this boy calling me fat. I love how protective Dakota always is over me. He said he told a teacher and this boy got in trouble, not that it will do any good. However, it hasn't been good on my self-esteem issues. I know I'm overweight. I feel so weak and tired all the time that I have no energy to exercise. When I do overdo myself, then I am in a lot of pain. Makes me want to just starve myself so I can lose weight and not be an embarrassment to my kids.

Earlier last week, some teachers overheard AJ saying that Dakota had a brain problem. I'm very glad that he was overheard by teachers and sent to the principals office. But even when kids do get in trouble for saying these things, that doesn't take the memory away from Dakota. I mean, no wonder he feels so depressed. To know that people think these things about you hurts. Sometimes I'm so tempted to home school him. I'd hate to take the social interactions away from him though, because that's something he struggles with. Life is really hard sometimes.


No comments: