So, I've been having some breast pain
for a few weeks now. Nothing severe and it would just happen on
occasion. I freak out about everything so I did a little research on
breast pain. Everything I read told me that breast cancer rarely
causes pain. Most breast pain is from hormones or whatever, so I
tried not to worry too much about it. Then on Wednesday it got worse.
Wednesday night it started bothering me without even touching it.
There is breast cancer on both sides of my family – my mom's sister
and my dad's sister – so I thought I better get it checked out. One
aunt was only 30 when she was diagnosed. I got an appointment the
next morning and was told that I have a mass. I never even felt
anything. I always thought that since I had a small chest, it would
be easy to tell if I ever had a lump or anything. I was wrong. I have
an ultrasound scheduled for Monday morning, and I have an appointment
with a breast surgeon on April 10th. It worries me that an
appointment was made with the breast surgeon without even getting the
ultrasound results. The word “mass” scares me more than the word
“lump” would. To make my appointment even worse, my doctor had a
male medical student with her. She even had him touch my chest. How
embarrassing. And what kind of guy gets into the profession of
looking at boobs and crotches all day? A pervert, that's who. That's
why I never go to a guy ob/gyn.
I also have an appointment on Monday
with a G.I. Specialist for my stomach pain. I've had the pain since I
was a teenager – probably soon after I started taking my arthritis
meds. I know they are hard on your stomach. I remember my mom taking
me to a doctor and he mentioned doing a scope. I refused and never
seen a doctor about it since. I know, I'm a wuss. It's gotten a lot
worse lately. When I get the stomach pain, it feels like it goes all
the way through my stomach to my spine.
Dakota had his checkup with Dr. Watson
this week. He is 4'11 ¾ (practically 5 foot tall), and he weighs 112
pounds! The kid is only 9! I didn't even weigh that much when I
graduated high school. He wears size 16 jeans, but he has one pair
that are too tight on him. I can't believe how much he is growing.
Anyway, I talked to Dr. Watson about the bullying that is happening
at school. I told her that the boy told the principal that everything
he says are just jokes and the principal said that Dakota is just
taking things the wrong way. Of course, pushing him against the fence
or calling him a loser isn't a joke. But even if this boy was telling
jokes, it's all in how Dakota perceives it. Dr. Watson is going to
send a letter to the school saying that kids with Autism have trouble
picking up on jokes because they take things so literally. If Dakota
perceives it as bullying, then it is bullying. Maybe something from
an outsider will make the school crack down on this kid. I'm so glad
this school year is coming to an end. I'm going to request that this
kid not be in Dakota's class next year, not that it will stop things
from happening during recess.
2 comments:
Tishia,
Good for you for addressing all of these issues, that's a lot going on for you! It doesn't matter if you "should have" followed up on some of your health issues sooner, the point is that you are doing it now and that's awesome!
There could be lots of reasons why the scheduling happened the way it did for your breast issue. One that I think of is that if the ultrasound comes back clear and there is no need for surgery then they can always cancel the procedure, however if it's the other way around then you would have less wait time between getting the results and getting the mass removed. And I'm sure that your family history is telling your doctor not to mess around, just in case.
It's so funny that you shared Dakota's measurements because Zeke's are almost exactly the same, ha! As for the bullying, Autism or not, if the person on the receiving end of the "jokes" doesn't find it funny and the "joker" has been asked to stop but they continue with their behavior then THAT IS BULLYING! You and John are great parents for standing up for Dakota and you have lots of people who will support you as well.
Thanks Karis! It means a lot that people read my blog :)
Post a Comment