Mikayla has been sick since last
Saturday, and she is STILL sick. It has been a week now. I took her
to the doctor on Tuesday and was told that it was something viral and
will just have to run its course. Wednesday, she was very upset about
missing school because it was picture day. By the way, Dakota just
HAD to wear a shirt and tie to school for his pictures and he told me
that 40 people said that he looked handsome. But anyway... Mikayla
was upset about missing yesterday too because it was her day to bring
snacks for her class. This is her second time being sick in the past
month alone so I'm afraid to see what winter brings.
Dakota had been trying to convince us
every day this week that he is sick. Or that he has a broken arm or
leg so he doesn't have to go to school. No big issues though until
yesterday. He had one of those meltdowns. On Tuesday, he didn't poop
his pants at all. After school he knew he needed to go and went in
the toilet for the first time in a long time, and I thought we were
making a breakthrough. Then the next day he pooped his pants 4
times. Ugh. 1 step forward and 2 steps back... There was a day last
week that I finally convinced him to sit on the toilet right after
school (usually he refuses). He did it though and started bawling. He
said it was embarrassing to sit on the toilet and try – he would
rather do it in his pants. I don't know if that's because that's all
he has ever known? It's the strangest thing ever. I really don't
understand his way of thinking sometimes.
Last week, Dakota and I went to an
autism support group meeting. Nodaway County Services here in town
started it up and it was their first one. Of course, I didn't talk
much, but it's nice to hear other parents talking about things their
children do that Dakota does too. Dakota was bored to death. I
thought there would be some area for the kids to be to try to get to
know each other or something, but there wasn't. He was good though.
He sat there quietly. And repeatedly hit himself in the forehead with
a container of play dough. I guess he fit in, lol... I'm still
working on getting an appointment for him to be evaluated for Autism
at Children's Mercy. The school nurse told me a couple of days ago to
try KU. There is a center there that does evaluations that I wasn't
aware of. She said that a lot of parents have been happy with them.
The ease of getting an appointment and submitting paperwork is
easier. I was on the phone with them for a half an hour today. So, I
have more paperwork to do but it can be done online. I guess we will
see which place we get into first...
No comments:
Post a Comment