Friday, January 6, 2012

Monster High

So I didn't have the greatest day. We slept through the alarms this morning and got up late. John was late for work. Dakota would have been late for school, but he was running a fever so I kept him home. Then I had a dr. appointment which took FOREVER – made worse by having 2 kids along with me (because Mikayla doesn't have school on Thursdays). Then I had to go to the store, then to meet John at home for lunch, then to the post office. The line there was soooo long. There were several people getting passport photos taken there, and the line just wasn't moving. Who knew the post office did passport photos anyway? So after that, I had a bad anxiety headache (which I still have now that it's midnight). Dakota ended up having a big meltdown today, which probably lasted about a total of an hour. All because he didn't want to do his homework. I'm apparently the worst mom in the world and this is the worst day in the world too. And to top it all off, I've slowly started feeling sick throughout the day. But I know it could have been worse, like washing my new smartphone in the washer or having to throw our mattress away and having nowhere to sleep... Speaking of that, we actually have a brand NEW bed now. I've never had a NEW bed. We qualified for credit at Nebraska Furniture Mart, so we bought a mattress set and bed frame, and are planning on paying it off with our tax money. It was right after Christmas and they were having a big sale, so the bed and mattress were both half price. It was about time we ran into some good luck, cuz on our way down there our van started acting weird – we are thinking it's the transmission. So anyway, back to the bed part... We were told that they couldn't deliver it to us until January 5th (which was today). I was sort of upset by that because by that time I had been sleeping on the couch for several days and John had been sleeping in the recliner. This past Saturday, my wonderful dad borrowed a trailer and took John to Kansas City to get our bed. It is sooo nice. Of course, I picked out the softest affordable mattress I could find. And it's so high – I almost need a step stool to get in. But I'm not gonna complain...

The Monster High craze is just nuts. Mikayla is really into the dolls, and that is mostly what she got for Christmas. One of the dolls that my parents got her came with a movie with a Monster High episode on it. The show isn't on tv or anything yet, I think it's maybe in the works. Mikayla loves it, and Dakota has been watching it too. You know how Dakota gets these...odd... obsessions? He is obsessed with the character of Ghoulia Yelps – which is a zombie. She is the only one on the episode that can't talk. She just makes these odd noises and acts....well, zombie-ish. And my son happens to think she is the prettiest. I thinking that maybe he is drawn to her because she is different than the others – kind of how he is different from the other kids he goes to school with. He pretty much took over Mikayla's Ghoulia Yelps doll. He even sleeps with it, and Mikayla was getting mad because Dakota wouldn't let her have it back. It was kind of hilarious. We decided to buy another one, but Walmart was sold out of these dolls. We had to go to St. Joe the other day anyway, so we looked EVERYWHERE in St. Joe with NO luck. Lots of stores had little to no Monster High dolls left. Then yesterday, Ghoulia's leg snapped off. I'm not sure how it happened (I'm guessing it was stepped on), but Dakota was more upset than Mikayla was. By odd coincidence, John went to HyVee last night to get chocolate milk and they had Monster High dolls on sale for $5!!!! And they had a Ghoulia Yelps doll. We searched everywhere in St. Joe, yet they had one here in Maryville – at the grocery store of all places. So anyway, all is good now. I am really glad that we found the coffin for Mikayla when we did in early December, because we took the last one Walmart had, and I haven't seen another one since. It cost us $20 and I've been seeing them go for around $45 - $50 on ebay. Who knew little girls would be so excited over coffins...

Ghoulia Yelps. Isn't she cute?

2 comments:

Laura Mentz said...

A new bed????!!! EXCITING!!!! (Yes, I'm being honest by saying that.) I've never had a new bed either. We have a queen bed with a frame....no headboard. We got it from a married couple who each weigh at least 350 lbs so you can only imagine how USED it is. It does its job though so I'm thankful for that. One day I dream to be as lucky as you and get a new bed. LOL

I guess Brad & Cara's daughter is in love with those dolls too last time I knew. It's funny that Dakota likes them too, but I think that with your love of the paranormal, vampires, etc it probably runs in his DNA. :) I never would have thought to look at a grocery store for that doll!

KoRnyBrad said...

Cami is really into the Monster High stuff to. She likes Clawdeen Wolf and got a lot of it for Christmas. We found her stuff all over, but I never would of thought HyVee. My Dad had to go to ebay for a bunk bed for them. Cami even has the outfit from Halloween complete with hair!

Congrats on the new bed! Cara wants a new one. Guess we should of took advantage of the sale. =/