Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January happenings


Today was my dentist appointment to have my 5 cavities fixed. I forgot about the appointment - I guess because when they made the appt. for me I didn't really figure I would be going to it so I didn't think much about it. I had intended to postpone it until March or so. Then yesterday, they called to remind me. I asked them if I had to pay all $640 in advance and they said yes. So, I told them that I would have to wait until we get our taxes back because we have no money right now. So then the lady is like, "Oh, well did anyone here ever tell you that you can go to the website www.carecredit.com and apply for a 12 month interest free loan?" Ummm...no. If I would have known that, I would have had all this taken care of right after my last cleaning. I guess you can go to this website for a variety of different doctors - even plastic surgeons. This might be a perfect time for me to get that tummy tuck. But anyway, I was approved for the loan so I went ahead to my appt today. It was at 9:30 and they got me right in. I had to have 9 shots inside the right side of my mouth - some hurt, some didn't. During one of the shots, the girl spilled some stuff out of the shot inside my mouth and the back of my throat. It was the worst tasting stuff ever. I thought I was going to throw up. I have been having an upset stomach for a few days now. After I finally got numb, the dentist came in. I just love how they try talking to you when you can't feel your mouth. He had asked me what was wrong and I told him I was nervous. I guess he understands slur. He tried telling me that it was going to be like an amusement park for my mouth, and that it would be fun. That didn't make me feel any better. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - after the shots anyway. While he was drilling on my teeth though, it started smelling like burnt flesh or something. That was somewhat alarming. And the smell made me even closer to throwing up. But I made it without dying. After the procedure, they had me go talk to the woman in billing. You would think they would have me talk to her before the right half of my face goes numb. So...yeah. That was fun. I also had the WORST headache ever - partially from trying to push my head back through the dental chair for 1 1/2 hours. Because, you know, it helps when you do that - like you can get farther away from the dentist or something. I still have that headache. And it's been 12 1/2 hours and the numbness still isn't completely gone from my face. So... not one of my better days.

I had an author do a chargeback on a cover I made for her several months ago. If you don't know what a chargeback is, it's where you tell your credit card company that someone used your credit card without your knowledge so you can get your money back. The girl never actually did use the cover I made, even though she acted happy with it. She is using a different cover now that isn't that great looking. What I think happened is that after I made the cover for her, she got published somewhere that has their design team make their covers. A lot of publishers won't let you use your own cover. It's dumb, especially if the cover is good. When I got this dispute from paypal and the credit card company, I did a screen shot showing my conversation between me and this author. It clearly shows her saying that she received the cover and that she liked it. But apparently, she won because I didn't give them any evidence proving that she received what she purchased. I mean, come on... Why would someone steal this author's credit card and buy a book cover with this author's name on it? How dumb are these people? I don't suppose it would be worth hiring a lawyer since the total amount was only $40 - but it would almost be worth it just so this author doesn't get away with it.

I actually have some good news though - I'm enrolled at the Academy of Art University again. I haven't been able to enroll the last 2 semesters because I didn't have the money. Each semester, they charge a non-refundable enrollment fee of $120 that has to come out of your pocket at time of enrollment. Also, all books and supplies have to come out of your pocket too - you can't add them to your tuition and have the loans cover it. I had to have about $200 worth of books and supplies. I just couldn't afford that before, but I used Christmas money toward the fee this semester so that has helped. Of course, now we are about broke but I'm happy that I will be working on getting my degree again. I am taking 2 classes - Photography for Designers and Principles of Graphic Design. Classes start on Monday.

No comments: