Friday, April 8, 2011
Omaha appt.
Yesterday wasn't the best day. First of all, we didn't leave town as early as we wanted and then we ended up getting a tad bit lost in Omaha. Dakota's appt. was at 11:00 but they wanted us to be there 15 minutes early to check in. Instead we got there at 11:15 or so. Luckily, they were ready for us when we got there, and they got us right back into a room. The girl checking Dakota's weight and blood pressure acted like she wasn't sure why we were there. I said something about Asperger's and she just looked at me like I was weird. The doctor came in and he was really nice. Come to find out, this was a neurology clinic - not a clinic for developmental disorders. At Dakota's last appt. with Dr. Watson, she said that they would make him an appt. with a clinic in either KC or Omaha so Dakota could get checked out and hopefully given an official diagnosis for Asperger's. In passing, she mentioned that she would like Dakota to see a Neurologist for his hand and arm weakness. So, when I got a call from the Children's Hospital in Omaha - I assumed it was for the Asperger's - not the muscle weakness (because there are Neurologists in St. Joe). Anyway, the doctor checked out Dakota's strength, and for the most part he was ok. There was one point where the doctor had Dakota do something with his arms and his right arm had a slight tremor (and Dr. Watson had noticed that Dakota's right arm was a little weaker than his left - which is strange considering he is right handed). Anyway, the doctor was a little concerned and wasn't sure why he had the tremor. He said it could be something to do with his higher-level brain activity or something like that. I can't remember exactly what it was he said, but he wants Dakota to have an MRI. He also wants some blood work done, which includes gene testing if the insurance will cover it. They are supposed to call me within a week - they are going to get all his medical records to see what kinds of things were checked the last time Dakota had his blood drawn. Oddly, Dr. Watson's office didn't send any information about Dakota to this clinic. I am pretty annoyed by all that. I love Dr. Watson, but there is a major communication problem with her staff. Anyway, during this appt. Dakota was doing a lot of his odd "quirks" - and the doctor wants us to see the Developmental Clinic there in the same building. They are the one's that can diagnose the Asperger's. They gave me a paper with a phone number to call. I called it, and they can't get Dakota in until August! Ugh... I am sooo annoyed. I have been waiting over a month for this appt. I wanted to cry, I was so frustrated. I feel like we waited so long, and went all that way - and got nothing accomplished. Anyway, they said that Dakota will need to be put to sleep for the MRI - and Maryville probably won't do that so we will have to go back to Omaha to have that done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment