Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Update on the kids

Nothing much new going on here. We still haven't found out when we can get Dakota into one of those places for his official diagnosis. I've even left a message with the doctor's office and haven't heard back. Things sure aren't getting any easier. We ended up sending our upstairs neighbors a letter explaining a little of what is going on with Dakota and why he cries a lot. We just don't want them reporting us to DFS thinking that we beat our kid or something. Hopefully they understand - they had complained about us the first week we moved in - complained that our kids were too loud. Dakota's meltdowns seem to be getting worse, along with his bathroom issues. It's to the point where I don't want to take him anywhere. Isn't that sad? I just know that other people aren't going to understand. I've seen it a lot - Dakota is treated differently. When someone gets annoyed with Dakota, I take it personally. I just have this need to want to keep him home and keep him "protected" - so he doesn't have to deal with the reactions of others. I think I've always been this way. I think that deep-down, I've known he was a little different from other kids when he was really young. That's why I always have him with me and seem to have attachment issues. I don't even like him going to school. I'm so scared that kids are going to make fun of him. Just yesterday, I got a call from the school nurse. Apparently, a couple of boys at lunch time were doing things to try to gross Dakota out. Dakota ended up throwing up on his shirt and they had to send him home in a different one. Dakota was in tears and just really upset by the whole ordeal. The nurse said that she just hugged him and felt so bad for him. I think she seems to have a soft spot for Dakota. But anyway, it's just little things like that - things that don't bother other kids but really bothers Dakota. If anyone wants to know more about Asperger's, here is a good link: http://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/tc/aspergers-syndrome-symptoms.

Dakota's latest obsession is wrestling. We have to watch it on tv every Monday and Friday nights. That stuff is so pathetic. The backstage stuff is like a really bad soap opera. Anyway, when he's not watching wrestling on tv, he watches videos of it on youtube. Lately, Dakota has been singing this one song that a retired wrestler used to come out to. It is so hilarious to hear Dakota sing it - especially when he sings it in his tough-guy voice. Here are the lyrics:
I think I'm cute.
I know I'm sexy.
I've got the looks,
That drive the girls wild
I've got the moves, that really move 'em.
I send chills up.
Up and down their spines.

I'm just a sexy boy,
Sexy boy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy
I'm just a sexy boy,
Sexy boy
I'm not your boy toy,
Boy toy

Mikayla just keeps amazing us more every day. Last week, she saw a picture and said, "Mommy, that's the Eiffel Tower". Then she tells me that it is located in France. Seriously, what 3 year old knows this stuff? She was outside with John this evening, and she said, "It's going to get dark soon. I know that because the Earth is always turning". Her little mind just picks up on everything, where Dakota only picks up details on what few things are important to him at the time. We worry how this is going to affect him. Mikayla is already correcting the way Dakota says things. How do you deal with one kid being in special ed classes, while the other kid is a genius for her age?

Just some random pictures of the kids:

They were getting married:

1 comment:

Laura Mentz said...

Oh God, you should send Dakota over here. Shaun watches wrestling any dang time it's on TV. It's so pathetic. LOL.

I think it was a good idea to send your neighbors the letter. I feel so bad for ya. I know what you mean about strangers giving you looks in public when Dakota is "acting up". Some ppl just don't get it. He seems like an awesome kid from the pics I've seen. He's very creative and has a great imagination. Some of the greatest ppl in history had have a form of autism/Asperger's.

Is Mikayla getting her info from cartoons on TV? That's where my kids learned a lot of stuff. I honestly don't even remember teaching either of my kids to read....they just started doing it!