Monday, February 7, 2011

Asperger's

I had an appt at 8:00 this morning with Dakota's doctor - Dr. Watson. It was just an appt. for us to talk - Dakota wasn't there, he was at school. There were some things I wanted to talk to her about, and I didn't really want Dakota there. Dr. Watson is wonderful, she talked to me for an hour. We have know for a long time now that there is something going on with Dakota. I had set down and made of big list of Dakota's quirks. I got opinions from John and my mom, and then gave that list to Dr. Watson. She says that Dakota has Asperger's - which is a milder form of autism. We can't get an "official" diagnosis until we take Dakota to some sort of center - the closest ones are in Omaha or KC. We need that diagnosis for insurance purposes and for Dakota to get more help at school. The doctor is going to make an appt. for us - she said that she would just send us to whichever one she can get us into soonest - they take awhile to get into. She also mentioned something about getting Dakota an appt. with a neurologist for his fine-motor weakness.

My classes are going ok. It's more time consuming than I thought it would be - especially with a clingy little girl. And with me being exhausted and in pain all the time - it makes it hard to concentrate. It's just going to take a lot of effort. I've had 2 quizzes so far - on one I got a 100% but on the other I only got an 80%. Of course it didn't help that Mikayla crawled up on my lap right after I started and she wouldn't be quiet. Oh well - that's the joys of parenthood I suppose!

No comments: