Monday, March 8, 2010

HCM

John has been having some chest pain/pressure for awhile now. I finally convinced him to go to the doctor last week (you know how men are). Good thing he went. They did an EKG and it looks like he has a heart condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM). It's a disease that causes the heart muscle to enlarge. After fighting with the insurance company, the doctors office scheduled an Echocardiogram for this Thursday afternoon. As of now, the stupid insurance won't cover for John to have a stress test. So anyway, I guess for now John needs to refrain from doing anything too physical. Also, this is something that is genetic so if he gets a diagnosis I guess we better get the kids checked out.

Dakota had a doctors appointment last week as well. The doctor told us to stop using the Daytrana. I think she could see what we meant about him being hyper and fidgety. The whole time Dakota stomped around the room acting like a dinosaur. He couldn't hold still or sit down. He wouldn't even talk to the doctor, all he would do is roar at her, lol... Things are a lot more calm now. The doctor is going to wait on trying him on anything new. She wants to see what the school testing shows. I don't know when they are supposed to be done with all the tests, but she wants to know if they diagnose him with a learning disability. He's not stupid, he is really smart when it comes to the few things that interest him (cowboys, dinosaurs, Godzilla/Ultraman figures). Nothing else seems to be able to hold his attention though. He is often in his own little world, and you have to repeat yourself several times to get through to him. I'm worried that the school might put him in special ed and I'm worried about how the other kids will react to him. Kids can be so cruel. I just worry about him :( I'm just really stressed about things right now...

No comments: