Monday, June 15, 2009

meds and stuff

So, my doc doubled my dose on my anti-depressant. I know, that's all I need after my little overdose incident - more medication. I think I just so desperately want to feel how a normal person should - that's why I rarely object when a doctor suggests trying me on different meds. But sometimes I think that I am just over medicated. I'm just so sick of being exhausted all the time. I feel pretty worthless really. I have absolutely no energy to do anything. I have trouble staying awake all day long, and I nap whenever I can. Sleeping is all I ever want to do. Until it gets dark. About the time the sun goes down - my energy level goes up. Nighttime is when I have to get everything done that I want to get done. So, I usually end up staying up really late and I have to take something to make me fall asleep when I go to bed. It's almost like the sun makes me tired or something. I'm nocturnal or something... But anyway, someday I'm going to try an experiment. I'm going to go med-free for a month and see what happens. I know a side effect of all my meds is fatigue so I wanna know if I have more energy if I don't take anything. I'm just afraid of being in pain constantly and I'm afraid of going into some deep depression without my meds... I just sort of feel like a lost cause...

Something I have learned though, is that you can't expect your doctor to be "smart" about your medications. When prescribing me something, I've never had a doctor ask me what all other meds I take at the same time I would be taking the new med. They always ask what meds I take but it's like they assume I just take them all at different times throughout the day - which I could never remember to do. Another example - my friend Laura went to the doctor because she had been really sick. He asked her if she was alergic to anything, and she told him "codeine". He ended up giving her a prescription for a cough medicine that had codeine in it. Luckily the pharmacist caught it! So anyway, the moral of this story is that you can never be too careful. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if it's ok to take certain meds together AT THE SAME TIME and make sure your pharmacist knows what all you're allergic to incase your doctor doesn't know what all ingredients are in the particular med he/she prescribes for you!

Anyway, next week John is on vacation. We were hoping to go to Texas but I don't think that will happen. I think we will be lucky just to make it to Worlds of Fun. Oh well, it's not really what we do - it's being able to spend time together as a family that counts. We really need to save what money we have for Dakota's birthday. He turns 6 on July 7th. We haven't even bought him anything yet. He is really into dinosaurs at the moment. The other day, John bought me the True Blood series as an early birthday present. It's a vampire type of show that's on HBO - it's more adult than Twilight. I bought the book series awhile back and got hooked. Anyway, it was $40 at Walmart for the first season. Our friends bought it a few days after we did - and it was on sale for $25. And of course, we no longer had our receipt. That's just our kind of luck...

No comments: