Wednesday, February 4, 2015
School Tour
The tour of the new school the kids will be attending went well. Actually, it was a little weird at first. The doors are all locked, and you have to push a button to talk to someone before they let you in. That part I'm not used to, but it's a good idea. So anyway, I told the lady who I was and she told me to wait because they were on a lockdown. She gave me no other information, so the kids and I are just standing there not knowing what's going on. For all I knew, there was a gunman in or around the building and I'm just standing there with my kids looking like a great target. The principal came out to get me and said that they would allow us inside since I had an appointment and he knew I was coming. Apparently, it was a district-wide lockdown. While the kids and I were sitting in the waiting area of the office, a police officer came in the office talking about a gunman firing shots and he just came into town off the interstate (that I was just on), and apparently this dude is wanted in another state for a double homicide. And he said that right in front of my kids, so I'm sure they weren't feeling real comfortable at that moment.
But anyway, after the receptionist took several phone calls trying to reassure concerned parents, she showed us around the school. Dakota was shaking people's hands and acting like the perfect gentleman. Mikayla was being her usual self and wouldn't talk to anybody. Dakota got to meet his special ed teacher but not his homeroom teacher (they weren't in their classroom). Mikayla got to meet her teacher and see the kids in her class. I think that made her feel a little better - she is pretty nervous about changing schools. Everyone we met was super nice, especially the principal. After we left, Dakota asked, "So, when can I start?" He seems pretty eager. I hope both kids take the transition pretty well. I won't lie - I'm terrified to have my kids make this transition. This is the first year that we have not had any issues with getting Dakota to go to school. He also hasn't had any bullying issues this year. He doesn't really have any friends at school, but his classmates seem to just be used to the way he is. I hope kids won't make fun of him at the new school. And Mikayla is so extremely shy and timid. Other kids will have to approach her for her to make friends. Hopefully she will have a little girl in her class that talks a lot and won't leave her alone.
I just had to share this picture of Mikayla. She was feeling sick to her stomach last night, and wanted to sleep with this bowl in case she got sick. Apparently, she slept with her face on the bowl. You could still see the lines when I dropped her off at school this morning. Poor girl. She has been having an upset stomach most nights for the past few weeks, but no fever or anything. Honestly, I think she is nervous and stressing about changing schools. I feel so bad for her. But she hasn't been wanting to go to her current school either, ever since her upset stomach issue started. She doesn't want to be away from me, and half the mornings she is on the verge of tears before school. I can't wait to get this move over with and get their first day out of the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment