Friday, January 25, 2013

January happenings...


Monday was a crazy busy day. John and the kids had the day off for Martin Luther King day – which was the perfect day for my nephew Carter to be born. The kids were really excited to go out to the hospital and see him (ok, so was I). Then we had to go back home and finish cleaning. We had a home visit with Nodaway County Services for Dakota's autism. His caseworker wanted to meet him and ask us a bunch of questions. Dakota kept showing off for her by trying to do cartwheels, the splits, showing her his bug collection, explaining the different tattoos on his different wrestlers, etc... I think she was pretty amused by him. He seemed to really like her. Dakota loves anyone who will take a couple minutes out of their time to pay attention to him and act interested in what he is saying. The funny thing is that Dakota is the same height as the caseworker, and he is only 9. But anyway, she is going to take all the info and go over it with her supervisor. They will see if there is any funding in the areas he could use it. For example, he could use a tutor (though he wouldn't like it unless the tutor somehow incorporated his obsessions into Math or whatever he was learning). Also, Dakota got his report card and his gym teacher mentioned his lack of gross motor skills. He thinks that Dakota needs an outside activity to help his coordination and everything. He suggested martial arts or dancing. Dakota would like to do the martial arts, but John called and it's $55 a month, which we can't afford. I found somebody who can possibly give Dakota wrestling lessons for $10 a session. 




Last week, Mikayla received an award at school. It had something to do with her being responsible and always making good choices. Last night at dance class, the owner came up to me and told me that Mikayla's dance instructor was telling her about how talented Mikayla is. 




Today, I had an appointment with a neurologist. I was referred to him because of some of my sensory issues, but I also mentioned to him about some of the numbness and tingling on my hands and feet and upper back. My hands and feet tingle almost constantly and probably have for 2 years. I just figured it was from the fibromyalgia. My back has been tingling for a few months and I thought maybe it was a pinched nerve, but I've been to the chiropractor and I'm still feeling the tingling almost every day. But anyway... the doctor checked some different things. I have overactive reflexes in my legs. He was also asking me about my fatigue and weakness. He said that with my age and symptoms, he is concerned about MS (Multiple Sclerosis). I had to go over to the hospital and have 7 vials of blood drawn. I'm also supposed to have an MRI done. I'm not sure when that will be yet, they have to contact my insurance first and get it pre-approved. My next appointment with this doctor is 2 months away. I hope I don't have to wait that long to find out anything.

No comments: