Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mommy Guilt



I am having some major mommy guilt. Mikayla was sitting at the kitchen table on Saturday night before bed. I didn't see it happen, but she fell out of the chair. It shouldn't have been a big deal, right? It's just a normal sized chair – not too far off the ground. The floor is carpeted. She cried, which she doesn't usually do – she falls all the time. She wasn't screaming or crying loudly though – she just cried kind of quietly. I had her try to move her wrist right afterward, and she was able to move it a little so I didn't think it was broken. It didn't look like anything was wrong with it either. She had a really rough night. Every time she moved, she would wake up crying. I had a feeling something wasn't right, but again – her wrist looked fine and I didn't want to pay a $100 copay for the ER to tell me that I'm an overprotective mom. But, she was still crying whenever she moved Sunday morning so I finally took her. Of course, it took a long time to be seen by the doctor. They took x-rays and found out that her wrist was broke. It's actually the radial bone right above her wrist. The radial bone is the larger of the 2 bones that are in your forearm. The bone was out of alignment so they sent us to Children's Mercy in Kansas City. They wanted a children's orthopedic surgeon to put the bone back in place.

So, we took her there and had to wait in another ER waiting room. Once the nurse took us back into one of the trauma rooms, it of course took a long time to be seen by a doctor. She didn't have to have surgery, but they gave her an IV to sedate her for the procedure. She cried much, much more with the IV then she did breaking her arm. Dakota was getting really mad at this point. He was asking the nurses what they were doing, and telling them that it was the most horrible thing he has ever seen, lol... I had to calm him down. He was being very protective over his sister. When he found out it was broke, he was crying. So anyway, even though the break is down by the wrist, her cast comes up to armpit level. It's a big, ugly white plaster cast. We go back on Tuesday of next week to have her arm x-rayed again. She will then hopefully get a pink cast, and one that doesn't go up so high. She is upset about how heavy her cast is, and she has to wear a sling. She doesn't want to go to school or dance class. We had to buy her some big shirts that we could fit over her arm. She is doing really well though and her arm doesn't hurt anymore.

1 comment:

Laura Mentz said...

Aww....don't feel bad. I totally understand not wanting to pay a $100 copay just to be told that nothing is wrong. It's horrible that some of us have to think about that kind of stuff while other mothers take their kids to the ER for a runny nose because they have Medicaid. (I have a rant today about Medicaid patients, but I guess I'll keep that to myself for now. Damn, I miss myspace! LOL)

I like that Dakota feels so badly when his sister is in pain. My kids hate each other and laugh when the other is hurt. That makes me upset.

Maybe you could buy some "bling" (those fake crystal things and other shiny stick-ons) to decorate her cast. I bet that diva would like that :)