Sunday, November 15, 2015

Family Matters



It's been awhile since I've blogged. Life has been so busy and crazy. I've been working at Days Inn for almost 4 months now. I can't believe it's been that long. Working nights is a little hard, with trying to go back to a “normal” sleep schedule on the days I don't work. My boss has had some nice things to say about me – like that I'm reliable, compassionate, thorough... But I feel like he nitpicks everything I do. And I know it's not just me. He is even harder on the other 2 girls that work the front desk. I try to keep that in mind and not take it too personally...

I went to see my ob/gyn last month. I went because of one issue and found out that I was in the midst of having a miscarriage. I didn't even know I was pregnant so I'm not positive how far along I was. Possibly 2 months. But I never felt pregnant. At this point, I had been bleeding and cramping for a month straight and I couldn't take any more. I thought the bleeding was from my other issue. How a person can bleed for a month straight and not die is beyond me. But anyway. They checked my blood for the pregnancy hormone and it was there, but low. They have put a halt on further testing and procedures (like bladder testing and a possible hysterectomy), until the pregnancy hormone is all the way down. On that day, it was at 86. Two days later it dropped to 67. They had me wait a week and come back. That day it was at 34. They had me wait another week, which was this past Friday and it was 13. I can't believe this is taking so long. I just want it to be over with. John and I have been trying to have another baby for 2 years. I had my last depo shot in October 2013 and decided to stop them. At that point I knew I was getting older and if we wanted another baby we thought we better do it soon. I can't tell you how depressing it is going to the clinic to get my blood tested to see if all remnants of a dead baby is out of me, and I see women with wonderfully big bellies everywhere. All the ob/gyn's are in this same area so it's pretty packed – mostly with pregnant women. Then, the day after I found out this news, I went to work and my coworker told me that our other coworker is pregnant. But she wants to have an abortion because she doesn't want another kid. It makes me sick. I was tempted to ask her if I could just have her baby, but I didn't want to bring it up because I wasn't supposed to know.

John has been having issues with his foot. He had gout and was in so much pain he was actually using a cane. The doctor gave him some medicine that seemed to clear up the gout, but he is still having pain from plantar fasciitis and a heel spur in that same foot. The doctor is making him get some custom inserts made for his shoes. They are pretty expensive. Insurance is covering some, but our portion to pay is $200. I can't wait for him to get them and I hope they help.

Mikayla is having some dental work done on December 3rd. She has a huge cavity and won't let the dentist fix it. She won't even let a dentist clean her teeth. They tried giving her some laughing gas but it didn't work one bit. She has so much anxiety (just like her mother). The children's dentist in Kansas City is going to have to put her to sleep to work on her. The anesthesia bill alone is outrageous. Our insurance refuses to cover any of it because Mikayla is over the age of 5, so we have to pay $1000. That doesn't even cover the dentist portion. All because of a cavity.

And because every member of this household needs to rack up some medical bills, we come to Dakota. He needs to get braces. His teeth are so crowded and he has such an overbite, that the orthodontist will even have to pull out 4 of his perfectly good teeth. I'm not sure what day he is getting them, but our portion will be $3,800. Insurance is covering less than half. Next week he is getting the mold done of his teeth. He will have the braces for approximately 18 months and then he will have to wear a retainer for the rest of his life. After the orthodontist said that, Dakota got an odd look on his face and asked if he would have to wear it in his casket too. Leave it to Dakota to add some humor to any situation, even when he's not meaning to. I just love the way his mind thinks. 



No comments: