In my last blog, I mentioned that
somebody told me about a doctor in Kansas City that treats Lyme and
takes insurance. I was pretty excited. I got an appointment made,
which was supposed to be for next week. Then last week, someone from
that office called me and left me a message. They told me to call
them back – that my appointment was made by mistake and that the
doctor was no longer taking new patients. When I called back, I
talked to someone else – and that lady told me that she bets that
they canceled my appointment because it had to do with Lyme disease.
Can you believe that??? They gave me the # for an infectious disease
doctor but I have found out from others that that type of doctor
isn't what I need. I'm told that most of them will tell you that
chronic lyme doesn't exist (the kind that lasts for years when not
treated). So, I'm back at square one. I did finally get my
neurologist to send me a copy of my blood test results which shows I
have lyme antibodies in my system.
But anyway, on to some good news. We
have finally, officially been approved for those apartments and will
be moving on Tuesday. They were having an open house this past
weekend, so the kids were able to see the inside. They are pretty
excited. The rooms are kind of small, but we will have 3 bedrooms and
2 bathrooms. We were even issued an apartment number. John took
Tuesday off work. All the tenants have to be there at 9:00 that
morning to sign leases, go over rules, etc... They said it would
probably take 2 hours. Then we can move in.
The school mornings have been better
with Dakota lately. John and I actually had to have a meeting with
the school a couple weeks or so ago because of our difficulty getting
him to go. Dakota's awesome special-ed teacher has put a reward
system in place for when he has a good morning and comes to school
without fighting us. For each good morning that he has, he gets a
sticker and there's different things he can save up for. Right now,
his goal is to sit at the principal's desk at lunch time. I'm
actually surprised that he chose that over a few of the other
choices, but hey - whatever works. We've had a sticker chart at home
since last year for the exact same reason, but ours doesn't seem to
do any good. Oh well. I'm just glad something is helping right now.
Last week, Dakota had a particularly
bad day at school. There is a new kid at school that told Dakota that
nobody liked him. Dakota is very sensitive to things so this made him
cry. And Dakota has told us before that he feels like nobody likes
him. Well, that day I was looking in his bag and found a card that a
girl in his class made for him. It said, “Feel happy and feel
joyful. Don't worry I have your back. I like you and you like me. You
Rule.” How sweet is that??? And he thinks that nobody likes him...
I found out today that she is his girlfriend. I knew that he liked
her because he had mentioned her several times and said that she was
pretty. He has had a “girlfriend” every year for the past 3
years. For a boy with Autism, that is a huge accomplishment! I
remember when he was in 1st grade, his teacher told me
that the girls in his class seem to hover over him and protect him. I
guess because he is so emotional and is always needing help with
whatever they are doing in the classroom. He just doesn't know what a
stud he is.

No comments:
Post a Comment