Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pretty in pink



Yesterday was sort of a stressful day. I had to have Mikayla at her appt. in KC at 9:45 yesterday morning. Surprisingly, I made it on time – I'm not a morning person. I'm also not a big fan of driving out of town. It sounds dumb, but it makes my body hurt to drive – especially my arms and hands. The longer I drive, the worse I hurt. Luckily, her appt. wasn't in downtown KC, it was on Barry road and rush hour was over. They were running behind at the doctors office though so it took awhile. They x-rayed Mikayla's arm and it looks like it's healing good. They cut off her big ole plaster cast, and that part made Mikayla freak out. She has this thing about loud sounds. She is afraid of a hair dryer. The thing to remove the cast was some round electric saw thing. I would think any kid would be scared to see that thing coming at one of their body parts. Her arm was kinda smelly... I can't believe it's already been a month that she's had that thing on. Anyway, they were able to put a smaller cast on. It's below her elbow, and it's a lot thinner and lightweight. It's also waterproof, so that is very very cool. For the color, she picked hot pink. I sort of wanted her to pick purple again to match her ballet costume since they are having pictures taken at the studio this Friday. But nope... Oh well... It rained all the way to KC and all the way back home. I had a lot of trouble staying awake on the way home, especially after Mikayla fell asleep. The closer I got home, the worse it was. When we were about home, I actually dozed off. I had crossed the center line. Luckily nobody was coming and luckily I didn't run off the road. That scared the crap out of me. I have to take her back to KC again in a couple of weeks. She will get her arm x-rayed again and depending on how it looks, she might be able to have her cast taken off.



I had a parent/teacher conference with a couple of Dakota's teachers yesterday at 3:00. It was basically the normal stuff I'm used to hearing. His scores on his report card are low. He is actually a year behind his classmates. He is out of the classroom a lot for special classes. One of his special ed teachers said that Dakota seems to have trouble sitting still when he is nervous. During reading time, he has to read a passage and she times him. He hates behind timed. It makes him nervous and extra slow. Last week, he asked if he could stand up and read so she said he could. He took his paper and paced back and forth across the room while he was reading and his speed improved a lot! Isn't that weird? They did the same thing while he was doing his math facts in front of his classmates and it helped him do that more quickly too. Interesting...



A week or 2 ago, the costumes came in for Mikayla's ballet class. They are really cute. The recital is on April 21st at the Mary Linn. I don't know what time yet. All I know is that you have to pay $5 to get in – even parents have to pay. Sounds crazy to me. Parents have to pay quite a bit for their child to be in this recital in the first place

No comments: