Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My dentist appt.

Today it was my turn for an appointment with the dentist. Mikayla went with me and talked non-stop to the hygienist. At one point, she had the attention of all the hygienists and they were all in the room talking to her. She was showing everyone her dentist Barbie. She is often shy, but not today! Anyway, they took an xray of my teeth and they had a hard time fitting that thing in my mouth. I was told that the inside of my mouth is narrow. I guess that's better than being told that you have a big mouth, huh? Then the girl was putting some weird steaming-cold stuff on my tooth to check for sensitivity and that hurt like crap. They wanted to do that test to make sure my tooth wasn't dying - if it was I wouldn't have felt anything. The dentist checked the teeth next to that one as well, and checked my gums, jaw, etc... He couldn't find a thing wrong with my tooth at all. He told me that I had him 150% perplexed. I paid $80 for nothing...He has referred me to some sort of specialist in St. Joe. That appt. is on the 28th. The weird thing, is that it's not just when I bite down or anything like that. It aches all the time, kinda like it has it's own heartbeat. So anyway, I got home and started doing some research online. I found a link between having Fibromyalgia and tooth pain, since Fibro affects nerves and you have those under your teeth. Many Fibro patients have had root canals because their dentist didn't know what else to do, which is actually something that the dentist today had brought up. But root canals are extra painful for people with Fibro... I read some horror stories and never want to go through that. It sounds like there's not really much I can do though. The pain can come and go, and the Fibro flare-ups are often triggered by stress. I called my Rheumatologist and he said that Fibro can cause tooth pain and I was told to try using Sensodyne toothpaste. If the pain is better by the 28th, I'll just cancel my other dentist appt. If it's not better, I might go ahead and go just to rule out something else...

I have always had canker sores, but they have been really bad lately. I don't think a day has gone by in the past month that I haven't had one. I remember having a bad one on Thanksgiving and remembering that it wasn't fair that it hurt to eat when I had so many family dinners to go to. Anyway, they have gotten worse this past week and especially the past 2 days. I currently have 3, and that combined with the tooth pain is making me miserable. It hurts sooo bad to talk or eat. While I was doing research on the tooth pain, I decided to research canker sores as well. Oddly enough, they are an odd symptom of Fibromyalgia. And again, they can be triggered by stress (and I've had a lot of stress here recently). They can also be caused by anti-inflammatory medications, which I have been taking since I was 11 so no wonder I get them so often. I went to Walmart and found some mouth rinse and some Orajel that's specifically for canker sores. Hopefully between the 2 I can get some relief.

1 comment:

Karis Morrow said...

Zeke had a bad outbreak of mouth sores last month. I mentioned it to Vince Shelby when I was seeinghime for my back (we were talking about sick kids) & he said something about a possible link to calcium deficiency. You might check it out. I know a couple other women with Fibro & I truly empathize with you. It is such a misunderstood condition. I am so sorry you have to deal with it. Good luck on the toothache, I know that can make a person miserable!