Today was not a great day. I had to take Mikayla down to Kansas City to the pediatric dentist. I have only driven in Kansas City one other time, and I wasn't very comfortable with it. I ended up missing my turn and then the lane I was in was an exit only. Nobody would let me in to the other lane, so I was forced to take the exit. That exit put my on another interstate. So, I took the very first exit hoping to turn around but that put me on another interstate. I was lost and ended up by Worlds of Fun. Thankfully my hubby knows Kansas City well so I was able to call him and he told me how to get back to where I was. So, I finally made it alive and was so relieved. Then, after the dentist looked at Mikayla's teeth, he told me that he would have to pull her 2 front teeth out. I started feeling a little sick to my stomach and light headed. Then, I was on the verge of tears because I felt so guilty. He said that when he first saw her teeth, he thought they could be saved. But then he started using that tool where they scrape teeth, and when he started scraping the areas - soft tissue started coming away and then he could see that it was all the way down to the root. I can't believe she hasn't been complaining about them bothering her (except for 1 time not too long ago when she was eating fruit snacks). He had her breathe in some strawberry smelling stuff that made her a little out of it. He also gave her shots to make her numb. He got the teeth out really quickly, but I couldn't watch. I only heard her say "ow" once. $348 later, we were able to leave. We went to the van and I sat and cried for a minute, then we headed back home. On the way back, she wanted me to stop somewhere and get her something to eat. I was like, "are you sure????". I don't think I would have wanted to eat anything, but maybe I'm just a wuss. Once we got home, she looked at herself in the mirror and she said "I'm not beautiful enough to go to school". I feel soooo bad. But she is acting fine and doesn't act like she's in pain at all. She refuses to take tylenol or anything. She has always been pretty tough. I guess now she can sing "All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth" for the next 3 or 4 years...
I have a toothache that started on Saturday, I think. I don't see a cavity so I don't know what's going on. I tried Oragel but it didn't help at all. Last night I was looking online at other things you can do at home to help. I found one thing that said to put a crushed aspirin directly on the tooth and another thing said to put whiskey directly on the tooth so I sent John to the store for both, lol... Unfortunately, neither helped. Have you ever poured the powder from a crushed aspirin in your mouth? It was awful, and I was supposed to leave it there for 20 minutes (which would have been worth it if it helped). After I put the first aspirin in my mouth, I inhaled too much and the powder went to the back of my throat so I had to do it again. The second time I did it right but I had to keep my mouth closed for the entire 20 minutes because I refused to swallow and if I opened my mouth I kept drooling, lol... Yes, I have been told that I'm a dork and I know it... Anyway, I have a dentist appt. tomorrow. They had to squeeze me in so they are probably not gonna have time to do anything tomorrow.
Last week, I found out that Mikayla's shots weren't up-to-date so the nurse had me bring in Mikayla on Thursday. She ended up having 4 shots in her thighs (including a flu shot). I felt so bad for her. The rest of the afternoon/evening, she kept complaining that her one thigh was super-sore but that was to be expected. In the middle of the night she woke up with kind of a high fever and she was bawling because it hurt so badly. She couldn't stand on it without severe pain. I called and talked to a nurse at the hospital and she didn't seem concerned. I know that pain and fever are normal with shots, but I was worried because Mikayla is pretty tough and doesn't cry easily when she gets hurt. During the day on Friday, she still ran a fever and I had to carry her around the first half the day. The last half the day she could walk, but was limping around. Her leg finally started feeling better sometime Saturday. She has gone through a lot lately. I sure hope things calm down around here...
Monday, December 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor kids! First it seemed like Dakota was having all of the problems and now it's lil Mikayla!
Don't feel too bad about her teeth. At least they are only baby teeth and not the permanent. If they were permanent then I'd say you should feel bad. lol.
Post a Comment