Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pointless Doctors Appointment

Today I had a follow-up appointment for that swollen lymph node on my neck. When I last saw the doctor a month ago, she said that they would go ahead and do an ultrasound of my neck at this appointment just to make sure, and they would do more blood work to check on my low white blood cell count. I've been a little worried about the WBC count, so I was glad about getting more blood work done (even though I hate it). I'd read that antibiotics can make it low, so I went off my antibiotics for my Lyme this past month to prepare for this appt. I didn't want the antibiotics to alter my blood tests. Also, I was kind of looking forward to the ultrasound of my neck – not because of that swollen lymph node, because it went away. But I thought maybe the sonogram could shed some light on the new, weird sensation that I have been having on the front of my neck. It feels like something is pushing against the front of my neck and it's the most annoying feeling ever. I would rather be in pain. It's weird, it comes on the worst in the evenings/night – and when it bothers me most I also have this weird pressure in my ears.

So anyway, the doctor came in the room and I told her that the lump in my neck was gone and I told her about my new symptoms. I also told her that my chest was feeling weird – though I didn't get to elaborate on that. Nor did she ask me any questions about my chest discomfort. For all she knew, I could be having all the classic symptoms of a heart attack but she didn't seems to want to hear any more. She looked at the back of my throat and said that it looked red and irritated so she said that my ear/neck symptoms were probably from allergies. Or possibly anxiety. And that was it. No ultrasound. No blood work. She acted like she couldn't get out of the room fast enough. I'm serious. I have a feeling it's because at my last appointment, I let it slip that I had Lyme. I thought it was important to tell her that I was on long-term antibiotics, and why. But I should have used the term “Borreliosis” instead of “Lyme” (like the Lyme doctor told me to do). When I had said the word “Lyme”, she started acting weird and said something about Lyme being controversial. So anyway, I guess I'm just stuck with these symptoms and I hope they go away on their own. They cause me to have trouble sleeping because I feel worse when I lay down. And I guess I won't go to my primary doctor anymore unless I have something wrong with me that you can actually see with the naked eye.

No comments: